What It Means to be a Strong Christian
Finally, my brethren, BE STRONG IN THE LORD, and in the power of his might.
HOW TO HAVE DEEPER CHRISTIAN LIFE
Deep calleth unto deep …Psalm 42:7
- Develop deep roots in the Lord.
- They on the rock are they, which ,when they hear, receive the word with joy; and THESE HAVE NO ROOT, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. Luke 8:13
- The parable of the sower gives various reasons why some of the seeds could not grow
- Some seeds could not grow because they fell on rocky soil
- Jesus explained that these are the ones who receive the word of God with joy, and even believe for a while
- But in the time of testing, they fall away because they have no root
- A time of testing will surely come for every Christian
- If you are shallow , in the time of testing, you will fall
- I have noticed that many Christians do not have deep roots
- They do not care to know God for themselves
- They cannot even explain why they do the things they do
- They don’t know why they belong to a particular church
- They do not know why they speak in tongues
- They do not even know why they give offerings
- When they face a little criticism, they get confused and have no defence
- They have no personal experience with God, these are the people who can never say, “God spoke to me
- They have no convictions of their own
- If a close friend or even a Pastor who brought them up in the Lord deviates from Christianity, and become a member of a cult they are likely to follow
- You must have your own deep-rooted convictions
- The Bible says Looking unto Jesus the Author and the Finisher of our faith…… Heb.12:1-5
- Lift up your hand and say “I know why I am serving the Lord, and so my Father, mother or closest friend cannot change my mind”
- Many Christians who are not rooted in sound biblical doctrine can easily be persuaded to follow stories
- Some born-again believers fall away because they do not know the difference between the true gospel, and the beliefs of sects like the Jehovah Witness,and the Sabatharians
- For example Jehova’s witnesses are always trying to convert us to their faith.
- They always try to speak against the Holy Spirit and that is a major blasphemy
- They don’t believe in the Holy Spirit .
- They don’t believe in speaking in tongues, you must chase them away
- Never engage in argument with them 2 Tim.2:14-19
- 4 Remind everyone about these things, and command them in God’s presence to stop fighting over words. Such arguments are useless, and they can ruin those who hear them.15 Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth. 16 Avoid worthless, foolish talk that only leads to more godless behavior. 17 This kind of talk spreads like cancer,[a] as in the case of Hymenaeus and Philetus. 18 They have left the path of truth, claiming that the resurrection of the dead has already occurred; in this way, they have turned some people away from the faith.19 But God’s truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,”[b] and “All who belong to the Lord must turn away from evil.”[c]
- When you meet them just start to speak in tongues,they will flee from you.
- The Bible says not to argue with them or entertain them 2 John :4-11
- 4 How happy I was to meet some of your children and find them living according to the truth, just as the Father commanded.
- 5 I am writing to remind you, dear friends,[c] that we should love one another. This is not a new commandment, but one we have had from the beginning. 6 Love means doing what God has commanded us, and he has commanded us to love one another, just as you heard from the beginning.7 I say this because many deceivers have gone out into the world. They deny that Jesus Christ came[d] in a real body. Such a person is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what we[e] have worked so hard to achieve. Be diligent so that you receive your full reward. 9 Anyone who wanders away from this teaching has no relationship with God. But anyone who remains in the teaching of Christ has a relationship with both the Father and the Son.10 If anyone comes to your meeting and does not teach the truth about Christ, don’t invite that person into your home or give any kind of encouragement. 11 Anyone who encourages such people becomes a partner in their evil work.
- If for example you are not convinced that speaking in tongues is an ability that came with the Holy Spirit, there are religious sects out there who will confuse you.
- You must know your Bible, and be convinced that the Holy Spirit is from God, and that speaking in tongues is one of His gifts.
- Please don’t just speak in tongues because others are speaking in tongues.
- For example you must know why tongues sound like a monotonous and repetitive language.
- It is because the Bible says, “with a stammering tongue will I speak to you”.
- For with stammering lips and another tongue
He will speak to this people,12 To whom He said, “This is the rest with which
You may cause the weary to rest,”And, “This is the refreshing”;Yet they would not hear. Isaiah 28 :11-12
- Tongues are described as a stammering tongue. It is not just an ordinary language.
- It is a heavenly language that comes out in a stammering fashion.
- It is God’s gift to help you pray so don’t let anyone confuse you about speaking in tongues
- Speaking in tongues is your opportunity to speak to God and to grow deeper roots in Chrisat 1 Cor 14:2
- For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries
- He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
- When you speak in tongues and grow in the love of God. JUDE :20-21
- It is actually It is also very easy to backslide from Church if you are not deeply rooted in the love of Christ
- You may be in a church, you may be an Elder,Pastor or a zealous Church worker but if you are not “deeply rooted in Christ ” you will fall away at the next shaking and crisis.
- Every church experiences some shakings from time to time, your membership and commitment may be shaken and if you are weak you will fall.
- Ephesians 3:14-21
- 14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father [f]of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
- Only a “shallow” Christian would fall away when, a great man of God gets into some scandalous sin.
- What have the sins of that man of God got to do with your own salvation?
- Why on earth would you think of leaving Christ because of your pastor’s mistakes?
- Many Christians behave in this way because they themselves are shallow!
- Never follow anyone that does not follow Christ.
- Pastors, Bishops ,Apostles are all men and they can make mistakes.
- If your Pastor or Bishop tells you to do something that is not biblical, do not do it.
- Only do things which can be supported by the Bible.”
- If you are not sure about anything your pastor is saying, just ask him, “Please Sir, what is the scriptural basis for this new revelation?”
- We must start to behave like the Berean Brethren if we want to be deeply rooted in Christ
- Acts 17:10-13
- 10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
- 11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.
- 13 But when the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was preached of Paul at Berea, they came thither also, and stirred up the people.
- Not abiding by this principle is the reason why some so called ministers are able to dupe people out of all their earthly possessions.
- This is because the pastors know that they are dealing with shallow people.
- Paul said, “Follow me as long as I follow. Christ”.
- Paul knew that he was a man subject to like passions, so whatever- he did had to be scrutinized by the book of books: the Bible!
- Am sure you know that Aaron led the people of Israel to build a golden calf after God had delivered them from Egypt?
- These people were saved all right, but were shallow in their experience with God.
- When Moses was held up on the mountain, the Israelites in their shallow faith, turned quickly to idols and declared, “These be thy gods, 0 Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.”
- Don’t be shallow and light, blown about by every wind of doctrine!
- Don’t just follow the crowd! It is shallow people who just follow the crowd.
- Many became calf worshippers in the days of Aaron because they followed Aaron and followed the crowd.
- Many murmured and were destroyed in the days of Moses and the ten spies because they followed the crowd.
- Many got involved in the killing of Jesus, the Son of God because they followed the crowd.
- Following the crowd can be dangerous Don’t be a shallow Christian.
- Be deep. Don’t be a believer for just a while.
- Let your roots grow deep in the knowledge of God and in the love of Christ
- Exodus 23:2
- Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil; neither shalt thou speak in a cause to decline after many to wrest judgment:
Be Saved , Cleansed and Be filled!
- Don’t be an empty Christian!! There are many Christians who are empty. There is nothing in them.
- They have little or no Word in them, neither are they full of the Holy Spirit or of love.
- Speaking in tongues will fill you with the love of God Jude 2:20-21
- They may speak in tongues, but the Bible says whenever they do so, they are just making a lot of noise.
- Emptiness will attract other things to fill that empty space.
- A spiritual vacuum will be filled with spiritual things, either positively or negatively.
- Nature abhors a vacuum, and every space will be filled.
- Matt 12:43-45
- When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest, and finds none. 44 Then he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept, and put in order. 45 Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first. So shall it also be with this wicked generation.”And when he [an evil spirit] cometh, he findeth it UNOCCUPIED … Luke 11 :25 (Good speed Translation)
- Empty Christians are targets for the enemy.
- If you are empty the devil will try to fill you with evil tendencies because of the emptiness within you.
- Stephen was full of something positive. He was full of faith and the Holy Ghost.
- That was why he went on to become a great evangelist. .
- What are you filling your spirit with? Fill your spirit with the Word of God, with faith, with good Christian music.
- Do not mess around with non-Christian music; it will fill your mind with lust and death!
- Fill your time with church activities.
- If you don’t fill your life with these good things something else will fill it.
- Drive away the emptiness from your spiritual life.
- This is a fundamental key to becoming a strong Christian.
- If you are not filled with good things, you will begin to be filled with negative things.
- There are several evil things that you can be filled with.
- Do not take this warning lightly. Nature abhors a vacuum.
- If you are not filled with the good things you will be filled with the evil things that the Bible warns us about.
- Ephesians 5:1-21
- Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
- 2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
- 3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
- 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
- 5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
- 6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
- 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
- 8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
- 9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
- 10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
- 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
- 12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
- 13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
- 14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
- 15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
- 16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
- 17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
- 18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
- 19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
- 20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
- 21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of
Let us pray
These are the Seven Things You Must Be Filled With
1. Be filled with the fullness of God.
- And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be FILLED WITH ALL THE FULNESS OF GOD. Ephesians 3:19
2. Be filled with the Spirit.
- Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT. Ephesians 5: 18
3. Be filled with the knowledge of His will.
- For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to FILL YOU WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIS WILL through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. Colossians 1 :9
4. Be filled with joy.
- Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be FILLED WITH JOY; 2 Timothy 1 :4
5. Be filled with faith.
- And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man FULL OF FAITH and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch: Acts 6:5
6. Be filled with all knowledge.
- And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, FILLED WITH ALL KNOWLEDGE, able also to admonish one another. Romans 15:14
7. Be filled with goodness.
- And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are FULL OF GOODNESS, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another. Romans 15:14
Seven Things You Must Not Be Filled With
1. Do not be filled with unrighteousness.
- Being filled with all UNRlGHTEOUSNESS, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers. Romans 1:29
2. Do not be filled with fornication.
- Being filled with all unrighteousness, FORNICATION, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers. Romans 1:29
3. Do not be filled with wickedness and maliciousness.
Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, WICKEDNESS, covetousness, MALICIOUSNESS; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers. Romans 1:29
4. Do not be filled with covetousness.
- Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, COVETOUSNESS, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers. Romans 1:29
5. Do not be filled with envy and murder.
- Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of ENVY, MURDER, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers. Romans 1:29
6. Do not be filled with deceit.
- Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, DECEIT, malignity; whisperers. Romans 1:29
7. Do not be full of cursing and bitterness.
- Whose mouth is FULL OF CURSING AND BITTERNESS. Romans 3:14 EPHESIANS 4:11-32 “And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.